Angaza Design creates high-quality solar energy products with embedded, proprietary Pay-As-You-Go (PAYG) technology to make clean energy affordable for consumers at the base of the socio-economic pyramid. Angaza is a for-profit business with headquarters in Palo Alto, CA, and is focused on the use of human-centered design principles to build disruptive solutions for emerging markets. Our dynamic and highly skilled team shares a passion for addressing unmet global needs through innovative, market-driven solutions.
Angaza is looking for a highly-motivated, experienced individual to establish and oversee our on-the-ground operations in East Africa, with an initial focus on Kenya and Tanzania. This role includes establishing our office in Nairobi, coordinating our legal entities in Kenya and Tanzania, building our local sales and marketing group, overseeing and managing relationships with distribution partners, and researching and optimizing logistics channels. Angaza is at an exciting stage of company growth, and this position will play a pivotal role in shaping our strategic expansion in our target market. This responsibility begins with coordinating and managing the on-the-ground logistics of our upcoming commercial launch of our PAYG-enabled SoLite. If hired, you will be one of Angaza’s early employees and receive a competitive financial and equity compensation package.
• Current residence in (or relocation to) Nairobi required.
• Establish Kenyan office and East African operations.
• Travel frequently throughout East Africa region.
• Help hire and manage core East African sales and marketing team.
• Coordinate and oversee Angaza’s distributor relationships.
• Research and initiate new distribution channels and sales initiatives.
• Spearhead Angaza’s upcoming PAYG commercial launch initiatives in Q1 2013.
• Manage flow of products from port to customer.
• Facilitate communication between Angaza U.S. (Palo Alto, CA) and Angaza East Africa teams. Will report directly to CEO.
• Support local technology testing and user research initiatives involved with Angaza’s product pipeline.
• Firsthand experience scaling a young company; comfortable in a dynamic, flexible, tech-oriented start-up atmosphere. As the first permanent East African-based team member, applicant must thrive in working independently, and forming and implementing new initiatives.
• Minimum 3 years of business experience. Strong management skills required with an ability to motivate a team through challenging situations.
• Comfort and past experience with traveling or living internationally required. Experience in Africa strongly preferred.
• Distribution and/or supply chain expertise strongly preferred.
• Excellent oral and written English; Swahili language skills not required, but a definite plus.
• Passion for emerging market development through sustainable business practices.
Please send your CV along with a cover letter explaining your background and reasons for wanting to join the Angaza team to email@example.com, using the subject line “Angaza Director of East African Operations Application.” Applications are considered on a rolling basis, so please apply early. We will be in touch within 2 weeks of your application receipt. Thank you!